Who We Are
Founded in 1919, the League of Women Voters, a grassroots, nonpartisan political organization, encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy.
The national League was founded in 1919 as an auxiliary to the National American Woman Suffrage Association (NAWSA), and was designed as a non-partisan organization dedicated to educating women for their new political role.
The League replaced NAWSA after women were granted the right to vote in 1920. At the same time, New Jersey launched a state organization in Newark. Since 1920, many communities established local leagues, and in 1947, the League of Women Voters of the Morristown Area received its charter. Today, there are 38 local Leagues throughout New Jersey.
All local Leagues collaborate with the League of Women Voters of New Jersey, headquartered across from the State Capitol in Trenton.